Sunday, August 12, 2012

Retroactive Traveling


Sitting here in my living room in Albuquerque, just over a week into our new adventure, surrounded by boxes, I despaired about the blog, which was too ambitious to write on a daily basis after 8 or 9 hours in the car.  Then a ray of light--if Mitt Romney (I typed Mitty, which I like!) can retroactively resign, why can't I retroactively travel??  Doing so will no doubt change the content some from a chronological narrative to a more impressionistic one, but I can live with that, and maybe you can live without so much detail!

I will tell you our route; as I do so, some more impressions of the journey may surface. The other posts chart our travels from Winchester to Charlottesville, so I'll pick up the trip from there. Leaving Charlottesville, we quickly entered West Virginia, staying in Charleston for the night. From there we hit a couple of hot spots you may or may not know--Corydon, Indiana, and Robert, Missouri. I had never heard of either one of them. We traveled southwest from Robert to Joplin, which is near the southeastern tip of Kansas, shifting from the interstates to two-lane state roads to our next destination, Winfield, KS, home of my nearly-50-year friend, Judy. Spending three nights in Winfield, hiding from 100+ degree temperatures in air-conditioned cars, homes, and restaurants, we had a wonderful respite. Braving the road and the heat once more, we left Winfield and headed south toward Oklahoma City and on into Amarillo, Texas, for our last stop before reaching Albuquerque. 


No comments:

Post a Comment